January 2, 2013

Girl's Generation 'I Got A Boy' review




.. So that just happened. I don't know where to start. Wait, the correct term is I don't know which song to start off this review with.

The beginning of the music video shows SNSD in a room, doing normal girly stuff with their amazeballs 360 degree cameras, complete with cartoon-like sound effects. It kinda reminds me of their heyday back during the 'Oh !' days.

Let's start off by breaking this song down into their individual songs okay ?

PART 1 : From 0.00 - 2.05

When the MV started I was still pretty much excited. The first song was a great start with a British like sound and very badass and definitely fits their outfits and whole concept. With their cool scene kids 80's-are-totes-back-in outfits, with their ombre hairstyles with a sprinkle of harajuku makeup, I was expecting this kind of song. An I-don't-bleepin'-care, soul badass song. RNB meets subtle hip hop. With beats reminiscent of Adele-like songs and dropping em' bass beats like 'Teach Me How To Dougie', I was excited. And then comes the realization that this was not your average song.

PART 2 : From 2.05 - 3.36

BOLLYWOOD. The only bollywood-kpop crossover that I have seen and heard was from 2NE1's 'I Am The Best' and that whole entire verse stuck to my head. But this .. was pretty forgettable. I'm assuming this must be the chorus.

There was a soft sounding middle where Seohyun comes in which was pretty different but I think I'll just put it under this one because after a line or two we went back to the assumed chorus.

PART 3 : From 3.36 - 4.04

And then, ladies and gentlemen, we went to a whole different place. A very angry and dark place where angst is already making a home there. Tiffany struts over and sings a soulful song .. wait a sec, did we change  to another song ? No ? Okay. This time a Duffy/Adele-esque feel is exuding. With the girls in trenchcoats and orange wigs, Tiffany and Taeyeon takes the helm of this bridge of the song (Just my assumption. We will never know which ones are the verses or the chorus or the canoodle) . The lyrics in this part said of how frustrated the protagonist is because the boy does not think of her as a girl and to some degree, I must say that the atmosphere of this part does convey it but it was waaaaay too short. I'd rather have this be the whole song than just the bridge.

PART 4 : From 4.04 - End

We went back to the chorus(?) And then the song ends.

*catches breath* Phew. That was one heck of a roller coaster ride .. I mean song. The outfits were very, very nice. I love their outfit and hair to bits. Kudos to their stylists. STYLE ME NEXT ! I love Hyoyeon's skeleton thing leather bustier. I want one please.

 Each SNSD member had a different individual close-up shot where they were with a guy doing cliche rom com scenes which makes me go YAAAAAAAAY but it was way too short NAAAAAAAAAY. I want moar SNSD *slams fist on table* Seohyun should really try her hand in acting, I've seen her act on various variety shows where there was a corner for you to show your acting abilities and she was the brightest star out of them all. Her scene in this MV was of the guy hunching over her shoes to tie the laces back, her face is riddled with confusion and I-think-I'm-falling-in-loveness that I'm starting to want her in a drama. Tiffany's on the other hand made me laugh out loud. The guy wiped the invisible ice cream off her lips and she only had one mode of emotions in her eyes,which was set to ultra exaggerated."I'm so sorry but I love you .."

Overall : It's .. a lot to digest honestly. This needed a few more plays for me to get the feel of it and not really in a good way. If SM is trying to emulate what PSY did to the American market, this sadly, was not it. Since the song is made up of a bunch of songs, I just felt like the entire song was just verses. There was no catchy chorus(es) to make me want to sing it after it plays. That factor alone does not dictate whether a song is good or bad but it does win at least a prize for being catchy.

I get that the different sets and different costumes and different songs IN ONE SONG is trying to convey each part of the lyrics. This whole song is like one whole rom com where the girl changes herself for a guy at the beginning, and then how you got the boy and now he wants to see the real you sans makeup and then you find out he doesn't fancy you as a potential girlfriend but rather just one of the guys. If you want to produce a drama, just produce a mother freakin' drama not put it all in one bloody song. 'To The Beautiful You' was good plus you guys have the money SM, spend it on a drama okay ?

I can't help but being disappointed by it. I really liked their first song/part but if it was just one concept throughout, it would not have been a letdown for me. I would really like the whole song be the first badass part but if it was just the bollywood-esque part or just the Duffy/Adele-esque part, I would have been happy with it.

SIGH. I think I'm going to forget this one pretty fast but it was good effort from the girls. This is not their fault and I hope SM will give them a better concept and song next time.

On a relatively semi-different note, there was a rumor going around that Soo Young was with Won Bin and I approve ! Soo Young is getting prettier by the day with long legs and a great sense of humour, I love them both together. But sadly it seems like the rumour was just a rumour. But you know what they say, there's no smoke without fire right ? Hehe.

1 comment:

  1. Yep. I agree. It took me 2 replays to finally digest the song, 3rd time without watching the MV.

    But it still feels overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete