December 1, 2012

KARA goes solo


Kara recently released the korean version of Kara's SOLO Collection which became a hit in Japan. However, I figured that DSP Media made the wrong decision on releasing the korean version of it just because most of the songs don't even sound like K-Pop anymore. Here's the details :



Yong Jung Hyung's girl with Secret Love. Ooohh, you're playing around with our Joker now? Jokes! I actually kinda like the song. Although I think Hara depends a lot on her back up singers, her sound is well-rounded and likable. Not a piercing annoying song that I was anticipating. The music video is set in a more brightly-colored, neon world where Hara stalks a boy  guy who is on a date with his girlfriend .. who is also played by Goo Hara. Hara also donned a pinky hued wedding dress. Looks like somebody is sending a hint to somebody that she is ready to get hitched. The MV shows us how hard it is to be a stalker (It's hard, trust me *cough*) and how in the end you will always get the boy guy. And you probably want to enjoy the whole music video a lot more than you think because as we go along, it gets more depressing everytime.



Nicole's song is more mellow and sexier. Nicole does subtle sexy really well and she has the most 'solo' aura, if that makes any sense. She has the look, body and voice AND she knows English. But the song does feel a bit lacklustre and to me, it needed a bit more umph. The beginning, middle and end sounds the same and nothing sticks to my head. The choice in Nicole's leading man in her MV is good; it's actor Lee Jong Seok who is preparing for the upcoming drama 'School 2013'. Their 'relationship' in the MV is very natural but the separation seemed .. weird and out of place. Anyhoo, it's a good effort from Nicole and her live performances is with Ji Won so I have no worries about her live stage.



Ji Young's song is quite good but don't you think it sounds just very similar to another hit American pop song? We won't spill who, so try to guess who! Although this song is good, it just doesn't ring to me. The saddest part is Her MV has the most depressing ending out of all the solo songs. What is up with the bowl cut, Ji Young's Man ? I prefer a more hook driven song and this song is a tad bit forgettable. Albeit, it is one of the better songs amongst Kara's solo debuts, but I feel like it needed something more. It's refreshing to see Ji Young do something un-Kara like because I am too used to the sexy and powerful.



I am actually pretty impressed by Seung Yeon's single. It has a rock indie feel to it. It differs from the usual image that she portrays, which to me is in itself impressive because I didn't think she had it in her to rock out. But she did and she did a pretty good job at it. I think Japan has seeped through Kara's song choice because this song reminds me of J-Rock. She pulls off the lead-singer-in-metal-band really well. Eventhough before this I didn't really like her (Sorry, but it's the truth) I think her song is the best out of the five; MV wise and song genre wise. Where Nicole is the more typical Korean female soloist, Seung Yeon brings to the table a more rocker chick solo vibe. Very, very refreshing. Very Evanescene like to me.



Last but not least, Kara's sexy leader- Gyuri. I get the song is a direct translation from a Japanese version they released previously but this one sounds, very J-pop.  Let's be honest here the song is pretty okay but not up to the par of what good music nor a good k-pop should be offering. The music video as well is mundane as Gyuri potrays a sexy goddess image which is pretty much similar to what she is in real life. Sure, she looks gorgeous but it's not mindblowing. The tune of the music is similar all along with nothing catchy nor anything remarkable.

CONCLUSION : I think Kara is much more stronger as one unit. They hide each other's flaws better and emphasize their strong points when they work as a team. My favourite solo debut would have to go to Han Seung Yeon, a revelation that is both surprising because she is my least favourite Kara member before this. If she does stick to this genre after this (whenever she does a solo), I'll be anticipating it. Although we have to say it's a good try but a direct translation is so 2009. Please work on something better DSP Media.

No comments:

Post a Comment